Apprentice Manufacturing Technician
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
BD, also known as Becton Dickinson, provides pen needles for the care of Diabetes patients globally. The plant, based in Dun Laoghaire, runs 24/7 and is the Worldwide Centre of Excellence for Pen Needle Manufacturing within the BD organization, producing 4.6 billion medical devices annually. Here we employ approximately 450 people across Operations, Engineering, Quality and R&D.
About the role
We are currently recruiting 2 x Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeships. These Apprenticeships are offered on a 3-year contract and will report to a Shift Process Engineer. On completion of the apprentice the successful candidate will attain a Level 7 Degree in Engineering.
As our Apprentice, YOU will learn the vital skills to provide support to operations, including troubleshooting equipment and process issues, validation and qualification activities of the site through the creation and support of necessary validation documentation for equipment, process and product release.
You will work both autonomously and cross-functionally with Production, Operations, Engineering Support, Quality, Facilities, and Safety to ensure that the engineering activities/projects are completed as per defined project schedule.
You will also work in establishing and coordinating corrective/preventive maintenance activities for Production/Operations equipment within the manufacturing site.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Install, modify and maintain the full range of production equipments.
- Continuously improve the production operations.
- Assist in the complete validation of new and existing equipment including acceptance trials, debugging, etc.
- Deal/liaise with vendors, suppliers and local engineering shops;
- Involved in analysing customer complaints and internal quality issues and assist in drawing up improvement programmes for equipment to eliminate these defects being produced.
- Assist with the training of other, new recruits and apprentices as required.
- Participate in companywide continuous improvement initiatives, working in teams as required and utilising appropriate quality tools as applicable.
- Maintain appropriate recording and reporting systems on all engineering related matters (e.g., breakdowns, maintenance etc.).
- Full utilisation of all current and new IT/processing systems e.g., SAP.
- Maintain high standards of safety and housekeeping to ensure area, machines and equipment are maintained in a safe and clean condition. Correct and/or report unsafe conditions and other faults.
As per requirements of all Apprenticeships, applicants must have one of the following:
- Leaving Cert or equivalent.
- Grade 06 at ordinary level in 5 subjects 2 of which must be math and a language (English or Irish).
- QQI-FET level 5
- Availability to spend 15 weeks in College to complete the “off the job” phase of the apprenticeship.
Click on apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, or any other protected status.
To learn more about BD visit https://emea.jobs.bd.com/
Primary Work LocationIRL Dun Laoghaire - Pottery Road
Recommendto a friend
"I like being able to make a difference. Working at BD is an opportunity where the products save lives every day."
Current Employee - Anonymous, Limerick