Connected Health Integration Leader
Job Description Summary
Connected Health Integration Leader – Pharmaceutical Systems
A superb, wide-ranging Product Engineering career development role with BD, a global leader in Medical Technology.
BD is a global medical technology company focused on improving drug therapies, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases, and advancing research and discovery of new drugs and vaccines. BD provides an environment which enables our highly talented workforce to be the best at their professions. We are always seeking people who have a passion and commitment to join our Company on its journey to ‘advancing the world of health’.
- Responsible for identifying & developing future innovative product concepts, services, and/or value offerings for BD Pharmaceutical Systems by Leading research & development activities specific to software based electromechanical integration into Injection device Development to enable connected health capabilities
- Researches and assesses market and clinical trends to identify unmet customer needs leading to growth opportunities in the digital space & ensures attractive digital solutions will be identified and matured to meet unmet needs and bring value to customers & patients
- Develop & Maintains an up to date overview of relevant technologies in Digital field (data management, data security, Connected devices, smart components and technologies, software, Cloud based solution, Apps…) considering impact on BD business. Drives assessment of competitive products, processes and new trends (Digital Road Map for ADDS)
- Interface with cross-functional internal and external experts, key opinion leaders, and customers to gather feedback, identify, assess, and build support for digital solutions business cases that expand the Pharmaceutical Systems portfolio and delivery new solutions to customer and patients worldwide.
- Leads creation and evaluation of concepts from a commercial, technical, and clinical perspective with the goal of advancing opportunities through successive process gates (from Innovation to New Product Development). Conducts competitive analysis, techno sensing, prototype creation, IP assessment, and evaluation of possible partnership
- As a Technical Expert in Connected device & smart solutions including data science, provides engineering technical skill and expertise for Product or Technology and Leads programs to develop optimized digital solutions (performance & robustness) that fit with customer needs.
- Work is performed without appreciable directions. Exercise considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments.
- Liaison: represents the organization as prime technical contact for Digital integration at BD PS. Interacts with Customers and senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Develop deep technical understanding of all drug delivery solutions (design architecture, System Engineering ) and develop the right partnership model internally with New Product Development teams to drive an efficient integration of Digital capability (“built in solution”): technical requirements, tradeoff management, interfaces management,
- Ensures compliance with BD quality policies, procedures, and practices through appropriate communication, training, and education of sound quality assurance principals.
Digital technology integration and development
Act as a technology liaison & integrator, in the area of smart devices, connected health and data sciences, between BD Pharmaceutical Systems, Digital Health expertise groups within BD, but also academia & centers of excellence, technology providers, potential partners
- Collaborates with BDX scientists and engineers in developing project plans and targets for BD PS connected health solutions
- Develops proactively a deep understanding of the market and identifies and proposes any potential value creation axis (techno sensing roadmaps, acquisition opportunity, partnership, competitive analysis, IP landscape...) to strengthen BD PS position in digital health connected solutions space
- Leads team efforts (innovation and/or development projects) in achieving budget, schedule, and performance goals (as core team member or extended team member according the digital solutions to be developed)
- Plans, implements, monitor and deliver activities and deliverables for success of the Product/Technology development. (Accountable for success of assigned technical activities and deliverables)
- Performs architecting or refining of high-level product concept to fulfill the customers / patients requirements, envision potential solutions embodiment and engage stakeholders with Minimal Viable Prototype (MVP) approach when appropriate.
- Generates detailed concept proposals for future applications of solutions based on new developments in software/firmware design and other technological innovations.
- Aligns, sets priorities and manages all cross-functional activities while meeting agreed upon technical, operational, business and customer requirements (work package definition and direction to the assigned cross-functional team Members to timely deliver the innovation deliverables)
- Eliminates or minimizes barriers to progress, raises significant hurdles to Sr. management's attention for resolution.
- Identifies budget, resource, and capex planning estimates necessary to bring ideas/products to market.
- Strong technical engagement and partnership with R&D teams to define & optimize system integration and guide architectural design for products developed both internally and externally (including OEMs, contract development and joint-ventures) including
- Architectural definition and block diagrams
- Design tradeoffs
- Interface definition and documentation
- UFMEA technical expert
- Ongoing Requirements management
- Accountable for integrating design for manufacturing recommendations and lead tradeoff discussion (scalability / performance...)
- Identify and bridge gaps between R&D disciplinary groups. Guide mechanical, software, systems, and electrical engineering functions to develop comprehensive product solutions that meet customer requirements.
- Identify Risks in projects and communicates this to the team and the. Drives and tracks activities to retire these risks
- Verification/Qualification: Generates all the compliant documentation in respect of internal principles to build a comprehensive product history.
- Builds, develops, maintains and disseminates product/science expertise.
- Animate internal & external network (Subject Matter Experts involved in technical & market exploration, BD PS Product experts, BDX experts in connected health solutions across the entire organization, Partners, services providers…)
- Continuously proposes and implements required improvements in our processes to enhance agility, to fast track exploration & development and to maximize the value extracted from dedicated capabilities, expertise and resources(based on feedback collected and key learnings extracted)
- Actively mentor associates in related technical roles. Provide technical direction and frequent feedback. Participate and assist in their success. Continue to raise the bar on technical skills and help associates rise to expectations. Advise management of technical needs and desired skill mix.
- Consistently deploys best practices in the field of mechanical devices and digital development & integration (design for six sigma approaches or similar methodologies) while always keeping in mind business relevancy and project effectiveness.
- Creates and stimulates an open environment conductive to the creativity, innovation and "out of the box" approaches and solutions that will define next generation competitive product offerings for ADDS
Scope & Impact:
S/He is Accountable for successful projects execution (gates / deliverables/ milestones…), delivering recommendations, escalating as appropriate risks/ issues/concerns of the team.
- Represents the organization as prime technical contact on Digital and connected heath solutions. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations. Develops outside partnerships to fertilize innovation projects, and to identify the technologies or solutions
- Decisions of the R&D digital integration leader have an impact on work processes and outcomes. Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to complete assignments normally result in serious delays and considerable expenditure or additional time, human resources & funds, but also potentially in challenges in our relationship with Pharma customers
- Work performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments (proof of concept, Minimally Viable Prototypes, Customer feedback collection, partnerships, internal collaboration…).
Required Skills and Qualifications
Engineering Degree in Electronics, Software, Mechanical, Systems or related field. Advanced Degree preferred
10+ years of experience in product embedded electronics in Medical industry preferred with demonstrated success developing software based electromechanical devices.
- Other interesting areas of skills:
- Application/software development
- Integrated Circuits (analog and digital)
- IT interface and middleware
- RF systems
- Feedback control systems
- Wireless protocols
- Innovative Ideas & Approaches: ability to generate novel ideas for defining, implementing and bringing to market new solutions.
- Business acumen:
- Ability to combine ideas or concepts to generate insights or method for producing business and stimulate long term competitiveness.
- Knowledge of global business with intense focus on healthcare and medical technology.
- Cross-Functional Leadership & influence
- hands-on leader with the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, direct and challenge all functions (at all levels) involved in the development of the assigned product in a complex matrix and cross business unit organization. Ability to manage teams effectively
- Demonstrates strong and clear accountability for the successful and timely completion of designated tasks
- Develops and demonstrates interpersonal influence and persuasion skills.
- Promotes and leverages diversity to achieve best outcomes. Ensures all interested parties have opportunities to influence and contribute to decisions and outcome
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, ability to interact with all levels and functions of customers, styling, engineering and purchasing.
- Strategic thinking: ability to leverage organization's capabilities in developed and emerging markets.
- Entrepreneurial mindset & agility (try fast, fail fast & learn)
- Continuous learning: Actively seeks training to improve skills. Ensures technical lessons are reviewed, learned, and disseminated. Actively teaches and promotes product / scientific learning.
It’s a superb, all-round product engineering career development role with a world leader in medical devices.So if this describes you and your aspirations, then please click on the APPLY button.
Interested in a career with BD, but this position doesn’t fit your skills and experience? Join our Talent Pool here: https://emea.jobs.bd.com/#jobs-alerts-wrapper
Primary Work LocationIRL Dun Laoghaire - Pottery Road
Recommendto a friend
"I like being able to make a difference. Working at BD is an opportunity where the products save lives every day."
Current Employee - Anonymous, Limerick