Connected Health Innovation Leader
Job Description Summary
Connected Health Innovation Leader / R&D Senior Staff Engineer – Pharmaceutical Systems
A superb, wide-ranging R&D Engineering career development role with BD, a global leader in Medical Technology.
BD is a global medical technology company focused on improving drug therapies, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases, and advancing research and discovery of new drugs and vaccines. BD provides an environment which enables our highly talented workforce to be the best at their professions. We are always seeking people who have a passion and commitment to join our Company on its journey to ‘advancing the world of health’.
BD is looking for a highly talented Digital Innovation leader to create and drive connected health initiatives within the Pharmaceutical Systems drug infusion platforms and beyond.
The Connected Health Innovation Leader holds a critical position responsible for identifying & developing future innovative product concepts, services, and/or value offerings for BD Pharmaceutical Systems (PS) by leading research & development activities specific to software based electromechanical integration into Injection device Development to enable connected health capabilities.
Be the Connected Health Innovation Leader
- Possess the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and direct the multiple disciplines involved in the development of connected health and electro-mechanical drug delivery systems.
- Demonstrate a primary commitment to patient safety and product quality by maintaining compliance with BD Quality policies and procedures for medical device development.
- Research and qualitatively & quantitatively assess market and clinical trends to identify unmet customer needs leading to strategic insights for new growth opportunities in the digital space.
- Provide analysis, business case and monitoring of digital health initiatives to support pilot/scale opportunities and propose any potential value creation axis (techno sensing roadmaps, acquisition opportunity, partnership, competitive analysis, IP landscape...) to strengthen BD PS position in digital health connected solutions space
- Operate as technology liaison & integrator, in the area of smart devices, connected health and data sciences. Interface with cross-functional internal and external experts, key opinion leaders, academia and customers to gather feedback, identify, assess, and build support for digitally enabled business cases that expand the PS portfolio and deliver new solutions to customers and patients worldwide.
- Maintain an up to date overview of relevant technologies in Digital field (data management, data security, connected devices, smart components and technologies, software, Cloud based solution, Apps…) considering impact on BD business.
- Drive assessment of competitive products, processes and new trends influencing the Digital Road Map for PS, and evaluation of possible partnerships/acquisitions.
- Lead creation and evaluation of concepts from a commercial, technical, and clinical perspective with the goal of advancing opportunities through successive process gates (from Innovation to New Product Development).
- Develop deep technical understanding of all drug delivery solutions (device architecture, System Engineering, critical to function parameters) and develop the right partnership model internally with New Product Development teams to drive an efficient integration of Digital capability (“built in solution”): technical requirements, tradeoff management, interface management.
- Perform architectural design or refinement of high-level product concepts. Envision potential solution embodiments and engage stakeholders with Riskiest Assumption Testing (RAT) or Minimal Viable Prototype (MVP) approaches where appropriate.
- Strong technical engagement and partnership with R&D teams to define & optimize system integration and guide architectural design for products developed both internally and externally (including OEMs, contract development and joint-ventures) including
- Architectural definition and block diagrams
- Design tradeoffs
- Interface definition and documentation
- UFMEA technical expert
- Continuously propose and implement required improvements in our processes to enhance agility, to fast track exploration & development and to maximize the value extracted from dedicated capabilities, expertise and resources (based on feedback collected and key learnings extracted)
- Consistently deploy best practices in the field of mechanical devices and digital development & integration (design for six sigma approaches or similar methodologies) while always keeping in mind business relevancy and project effectiveness.
- Cross-Functional Leadership & influence
- Engaged leader with the skills, knowledge and aptitude to empathize, influence, direct and challenge all functions (at all levels) involved in the creation of connected health products in a complex matrix and cross business unit organization.
- Demonstrate strong and clear accountability for the successful and timely completion of designated tasks
- Promote and leverage diversity to achieve best outcomes. Ensure all relevant parties have opportunities to contribute to decisions and outcomes
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, ability to interact with all levels and functions internally and with customers
- Identify budget, resource, and capex planning estimates necessary to bring ideas/products to market.
- You will have a bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Software, Mechanical or Systems Engineering, related post graduate degree an advantage.
- Knowledge of global business with intense focus on healthcare and medical technology
- You will have experience independently leading system architecture or innovation initiatives
- You will be able to deliver results by inspiring and mobilizing people and teams.
- You will have a strong ability to network and collaborate effectively with leadership teams.
- You will have proven ability to combine ideas or concepts that generate insights or method for producing business and stimulate long term competitiveness.
- Dynamic problem solver able to anticipate potential problems and create solutions.
- You will be an excellent communicator with ability to run meetings and workshops (face to face, conference calls, Global Connect).
- You will have 10-12+ years’ experience in embedded electronics experience, medical industry preferred with demonstrated success developing software based electromechanical systems (sensing, communication and control) with working knowledge of complex algorithm and application development for digital health applications.
- Expertise/experience in the following areas is favorable:
- Application/software development
- Integrated Circuits (analog and digital)
- IT interface and middleware
- RF systems
- Feedback control systems
- Wireless protocols
It’s a superb, all-round R&D engineering career development role with a world leader in medical devices.So if this describes you and your aspirations, then please click on the APPLY button.
Interested in a career with BD, but this position doesn’t fit your skills and experience? Join our Talent Pool here: https://emea.jobs.bd.com/#jobs-alerts-wrapper
Primary Work LocationIRL Dun Laoghaire - Pottery Road
Recommendto a friend
"I like being able to make a difference. Working at BD is an opportunity where the products save lives every day."
Current Employee - Anonymous, Limerick