Job Description Summary
BD, also known as Becton Dickinson, provides pen needles for the care of Diabetes patients globally. The plant, based in Dun Laoghaire, runs 24/7 and is the Worldwide Centre of Excellence for Pen Needle Manufacturing within the BD organization, producing 4.6 billion medical devices annually. Here we employ approximately 450 people across Operations, Engineering, Quality and R&D.
We are recruiting for a Sustainability Engineer on a permanent basis on our site in Dun Laoghaire. Reporting to the Sustainability Leader, you will support the sustainability team with the evaluation of aspects that have an environmental impact through data compilation and data systems to monitor performance. The outcomes will influence proposals for designing innovative ways to improve the existing systems or processes. This includes the monitoring and execution of solvent, energy and resource conservation programmes that reduce BD’s impact on the environment. The work is versatile as it involves interaction with many functional areas of the plant and communication at different levels of the organisation.
- Lead sustainability developments, initiatives and improvement projects on energy, waste, water use, air emissions and noise.
- Monitor and track key performance indicators, such as solvent mass balance, energy and natural-resource usage, waste generation and recycling rate.
- Manage energy monitoring and identify reduction opportunities to deliver target KPIs.
- Present reports to communicate the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives and project results to stakeholders.
- Provide technical or administrative support for sustainability programs or issues.
- Provide cross functional support for development and improvement projects.
- Evaluate processes and equipment to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Understanding, updating and maintaining operating procedures that affect the sustainability processes.
- Understanding of technologies used in testing environmental parameters.
- Assisting with Sustainability department’s operations.
- Deputise for the Sustainability Leader in relation to environmental monitoring and reporting activities.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required by management from time to time
The successful candidate will hold a degree qualification or higher in an engineering subject.
The ideal candidate will have good interpersonal and communication skills to work with stakeholders at different levels of the business. An engineering background with problem solving skills is essential as well as practical experience working with analytical instrumentation and monitoring equipment.
You should display a general interest in the environmental issues of the plant together with organisational and planning skills. Familiarity with Utility/ BMS systems would be an advantage. Proactive approach and a commitment to continuous learning.
You can look forward to a rewarding career, collaborative working and opportunities to expand your skills and progress your career in this fast moving, dynamic and agile business.
Interested in a career with BD, but this position doesn’t fit your skills and experience? Then check out emea.jobs.bd.com
Primary Work LocationIRL Dun Laoghaire - Pottery Road
Recommendto a friend
"I like being able to make a difference. Working at BD is an opportunity where the products save lives every day."
Current Employee - Anonymous, Limerick