Senior Director, Ethics & Compliance EMEA (M/F)
Job Description SummaryAt BD, we do what is right. Acting with integrity is critical to ensure BD’s success and protect its reputation as we work together to advance the world of health. An important part of achieving our mission is collaborating with healthcare professionals (HCPs), healthcare organizations (HCOs) and government officials (GOs). We have developed a set of Global Standards for Interactions with HCPs, HCOs, and GOs to help ensure this collaboration is ethical, compliant and does not have (or appear to have) an improper influence on medical judgment, purchasing decisions or product recommendations.
As Ethics & Compliance Senior Director (Europe and EMA), you will be responsible for executing on BD’s EMEA Ethics & Compliance strategy. The position will report to the Senior Vice President, Ethics & Compliance who is based in the US. You will manage a team of regional compliance resources responsible for day-to-day compliance risk management support and third-party compliance. You will also support the regional management of compliance tools and resources, including (but not limited to) policies, procedures, and training.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
- Acting as a leader in Ethics & Compliance and providing compliance risk management oversight and guidance to colleagues in EMEA.
- Overseeing a comprehensive compliance strategy and operational approach to establish a culture of accountability and compliance in EMEA.
- Serving as a strategic partner to EMEA business leaders, sales distributor leaders, and other relevant management personnel on compliance and third-party compliance risk matters.
- Chairing relevant Regional Compliance Committee and other applicable committees to align with key stakeholders on compliance risks and mitigation objectives and elevate key risks/ trends to the appropriate business personnel.
- Providing regular updates on compliance risk management to appropriate cross-functional stakeholder groups within the EMEA region (e.g., legal, internal audit, finance, regulatory, HR, investigations functional stakeholders).
- Overseeing the day-to-day management of the third-party compliance risk management program within EMEA to identify and manage compliance risks associated with engaging third parties.
- Proactively understanding the evolution of the compliance requirements and enforcement landscape in EMEA to pre-emptively address and mitigate regional compliance risks.
- Coordinating with the appropriate Ethics & Compliance stakeholders to oversee the execution of compliance risk assessments and set the strategic direction for EMEA regional compliance activities based on the risk assessment results.
- Coordinating with the appropriate regional stakeholders to leverage risks identified in risk assessments to diagnose potential gaps in existing compliance approach; updating tools and resources accordingly.
- Supporting the development and implementation of compliance trainings in EMEA that focus on healthcare compliance, third-party compliance risks, relevant laws, and company policies and procedures.
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and maintenance of an effective compliance communication program within EMEA.
- Coordinating with appropriate stakeholders to develop, implement and maintain regional compliance policies and procedures (including coordinating the development, implementation and maintenance of market-level compliance policies and procedures for markets within EMEA).
- Supporting Ethics Investigations personnel and other relevant stakeholders in ensuring effective management and resolution of investigations by providing compliance subject matter expertise in support of EMEA regional investigations.
- Supporting relevant Internal Audit and Compliance Monitoring and Process stakeholders in the development and implementation of the EMEA auditing and monitoring plans and oversee outputs of activities to drive continuous risk identification and remediation.
- Managing the performance of team members, creating regular shared learning interactions, making developmental assignments, and overseeing their professional growth.
- Building individual capabilities by providing challenging and diverse development opportunities and experiences. Provides appropriate ongoing support to ensure that current talent develops the skills necessary to be a high performing BD professional.
- Actively practicing “servant leadership”.
You have a strong background in Ethics & Compliance, with experience implementing and maintaining an effective compliance program in a highly regulated, complex, sales-driven industry (ideally Medical Devices or Pharmaceuticals). Ideally, you are a qualified lawyer with knowledge of and experience with international compliance issues such as the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and similar anti-corruption laws or import/export regulations. Experience with healthcare compliance areas such as FCPA/anti-corruption issues arising in a pharmaceutical or medical device company, privacy laws, and transparency reporting laws would be a significant plus.
A strong leader, you put your team first and go the extra mile to support them in their day-to-day jobs as well as their long-term development. Hands-on, you can navigate between operational and strategic projects. In addition, you have a strong track record in building relationships cross-functionally and influencing diverse stakeholders at various levels within the organization (including senior management) to change traditional ways of doing business.
Other key attributes include:
- Solid analytical and conceptual skills, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Proven project management experience, exceptional organizational skills, and keen attention to detail.
- Effective strength in working collaboratively across many functions, countries, and cultures to drive results on complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive, exercise independent judgment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong work ethic and ability to produce high- quality work under significant deadline pressures.
- Unquestionable integrity and ethics and the ability to remain firm with these principles under pressure.
- Ability to travel approximately 30% of the time.
- Fluent English is a must, fluency in regional languages will be a plus.
Primary Work LocationCHE Eysins - Business Park Terre-Bonne
Additional LocationsAUT Vienna - Handelskai
Recommendto a friend
"I like being able to make a difference. Working at BD is an opportunity where the products save lives every day."
Current Employee - Anonymous, Limerick