MDS Business Leader Africa
Job Description SummaryLocation: Johannesburg, South Africa
Develop and implement business strategies for the Africa region to ensure continued growth of MDS platforms, sales, category share of sales and profitability in the region in line with overall business strategy and sales & GP targets. This will be achieved primarily through managing sales and marketing operation of MDS in Africa to deliver annually agreed sales, GP and OIBT goals; the effective selection, management and development of our distributor network and the promotion of MDS products and services to opinion leaders and end-users; and building upon existing MDS team to strengthen capabilities and expand geographical coverage.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of business and marketing plans, pricing policy, sales strategies and promotional plans by platform in Africa in order to meet or exceed business objectives, sales budget, GP and OIBT targets.
- Develop distribution strategy: evaluate, select, manage and develop distributors by region and product line. Provide indirect leadership and coaching for distributor management and staff including developing product knowledge; teamwork; trust; motivation; and providing ongoing feedback and coaching on performance and development and championing an environment of high performance, open communication, involvement and responsibility.
- Responsible for demand/material forecasts, reliable budgets and ongoing financial forecasts for MDS sales and G.P. in Africa.
- Develop and maintain high level contacts within Government, MOH and with opinion leaders/shapers in the hospital environment in order to influence healthcare policies, project funding, regulatory policies and to ensure accurate market intelligence and effective promotion of the BD brand and products in Africa.
- Actively seek out new business opportunities for MDS in Africa based on the market trends.
- Plan and supervise market research and analysis including monitoring and evaluation of the different platforms performance in Africa.
- Monitor competitor activities and strategies as well as developing appropriate counterstrategies to maintain & grow the MDS platforms category share of sales in Africa.
- Create a Sustained Value Proposition to our target customer segments in Africa.
- Develop product launch plans for new MDS products & product line extensions to ensure the successful introduction & uptake of the afore mentioned in Africa
- Ensure proper registration of MDS products in the region.
- Arranging and attending seminars, congresses as required.
- Manage promotional expenses within budget.
- Support teamwork and the sharing of ideas and information between businesses throughout Africa and EMA.
- Ensure that BD’s professional and ethical standards are maintained.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree, MBA (preferred) and professional experience in the healthcare sector with preference to clinical & medical device market
- Will have more than 5 years of sales, marketing, distributor and business management experience including at least 3 years with full P&L accountability
- At least 2-3 years of people management experience. Multi-country and/or export sales experience within the medical/hospital/research sector is preferred. Will be able to demonstrate proven success in sales and marketing and developing an effective distribution networks in Africa within an International Company and the ability to successfully build and implement business plans and sales strategies
- Will have a track record of success in the Health Science market and / or preferably in the diagnostics field, built on an extensive network of KOL and scientific societies
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications
- Fluent in English is a must and French is very desirable
Professional Skills & Key Competencies:
- Understanding of the Health Care Systems, and related markets in Africa
- Judges and adjusts priorities to achieve personal and team objectives
- Demonstrates strong planning and organization skills and ability to execute plans
- Demonstrates strong business acumen with strategic thinking
- Has strong knowledge in buying processes of the hospitals, competency in network development
- Is high results driven by strong action orientation as well as being solution-focused and goal-oriented
- Strives for continuous development in self, others and in processes and procedures
- Excellent negotiation, and decision-making skills
- Self-motivated and exhibits a positive “can-do” attitude
- Demonstrates exceptional levels of personal responsibility
- Displays high levels of self-awareness and maturity
- Reliable, supportive, committed and passionate about the healthcare business
- Ability to establish strong relations with internal & external customers, and competent in network development
- Keen customer focus with dedication to meeting and exceeding customer expectations, acting with the customer in mind, and maintaining effective customer relationships
- Exhibits excellent communication skills and can work effectively at all levels, both internally and externally
- Demonstrates strong influencing skills
- Is an excellent team player
- Possesses interpersonal savvy
Primary Work LocationZAF Johannesburg - Woodlands Dr
Recommendto a friend
"I like being able to make a difference. Working at BD is an opportunity where the products save lives every day."
Current Employee - Anonymous, Limerick